Friday, July 24, 2015

Taco Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers


Last week, I made this recipe and shared with my parents. It was so good that my mom requested I make it again the next night! Not only is it pretty simple, but is also reheats really well, so it's a recipe that I'm sure I'll be making more once school starts back! It would be a pretty appetizer (just ignore my horrible photograph), but we loved it for dinner as an entree. As written, this makes about 4 servings. I can take or leave regular bell peppers, but LOVE the sweet ones! This recipe is based on this one from  The Girl Who Ate Everything.

What You'll Need:
  • 1 lb bag of sweet mini bell peppers
  • 1 lb ground meat (I used ground sirloin, but any ground meat would work)
  • Homemade Seasoning (adjust to meet your taste preferences)
    • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1.5 teaspoons salt
    • 1.5 teaspoons ground pepper
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 3/4 cup water
  • A handful of fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt 
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice
What to Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Brown ground beef (or other meat). Once fully cooked, drain beef.
  3. While your beef is browning, cut peppers in half length-wise and deseed. Basically, you're making little pepper boats. Line a baking sheet or dish with pepper boats.
  4. Sacrifice enough of your pepper halves to create about 3/4 cup of diced pepper.
  5. Once meat is browned and drained, add in diced pepper, seasoning mix, and water. Stir and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, or until water is soaked up and peppers are soft.
  6. Fill pepper boats with ground beef mixture and bake for about 15 minutes. During the last 5 or so minutes, sprinkle on cheese and allow it to melt. (I like a little crispiness, so I turned the oven to broil for the last few minutes.)
  7. In a food processor or blender, process your cilantro, greek yogurt, and lime juice to create a sauce to drizzle over finished peppers. You can adjust your sauce ingredients to your taste preferences. (Don't skip this....it is SO delicious!)
  8. Serve peppers with cilantro yogurt sauce for drizzling or dipping!


0 comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment- I love reading them!